Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass in Rock Hill, SC
Obesity is a disease connected to chronic health conditions that can be life-threatening. When traditional diet and exercise are not effective, there is treatment available in the form of weight loss surgery. The surgeons at Piedmont General Surgery Associates perform laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in Rock Hill, SC. This minimally invasive surgery is recommended to aid with weight loss so you can live a healthy life.
What is Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass?
More frequently known as gastric bypass, this is the most common form of bariatric surgery that helps individuals lose weight and maintain weight loss. The surgeons at Piedmont General Surgery Associates conduct this surgery laparoscopically, so only small incisions are made resulting in minimal scarring and a swifter recovery time. The process involves two stages:
- Restriction – This stage restricts the amount of food you eat. The stomach is divided into two parts – one large and one small – and the small section is sewn or stapled together so it forms a pouch. When food is swallowed, it goes directly to the small section of the stomach. Since it holds less food, you feel fuller sooner.
- Bypass – The first part of the small intestine is called the duodenum. Roux-en-Y is a surgical technique that bypasses the duodenum by connecting the small stomach pouch to another section of the small intestine called the jejunum. As a result, your body absorbs less calories and nutrients.
Who is Eligible for Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Not everyone is eligible for laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. This may be considered for individuals who:
- Are considered to be severely obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher.
- Have a BMI of 30 - 34 with serious health concerns.
- Are obese, meaning they have a BMI of 35 to 39.9 as well as have a chronic health problem such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure.
Before undergoing this surgery, you will go through an extensive screening process. Committing to this surgery means adhering to specific diet and lifestyle changes as well as participating in essential follow-up care to ensure your surgery is effective.
Free Informational Seminar
Our goal is to enable you to achieve your weight-loss goals safely and effectively. We take referrals from primary and other physicians. Give us a call at 803-580-2178 to schedule an appointment or to learn when the next informational seminar is taking place.